Community Eye Care Service
If you have a recent problem with your eyes – such as sore eyes, red eyes or visual disturbance – you can be assessed and treated by our local Community Eye Care Service.
This is a free service available from number of local opticians. See below for information of what conditions are and how to book an appointment.
What is a Community Eye Care Service?
Conditions that can be seen under the service include:
- Red eye or eyelids
- Dry eye or gritty and uncomfortable eyes
- Irritation and inflammation of the eye
- Significant recent sticky discharge from the eye or watery eye
- Recently occurring flashes or floaters
- In growing eyelashes
- Foreign body in the eye
Please note, this is not a sight test
If you have a major eye condition that is being regularly monitored by your optometrist or hospital eye service, this will not be covered by this service; for example, cataracts, diabetic retinopathy or glaucoma.
Where should I go?
Registered optometry practices (opticians) offering the service are listed on the back of this leaflet. An appointment will normally be required, so please telephone first. Appointments are available during normal working hours and some practices offer appointment at weekends. Not all practices have an optometrist available every day, but if they don’t, they will be able to find you an alternative appointment nearby.
Who is this service for?
If you are registered with a local GP you can use this free service. It is for children over the age of two and adults. Children between the ages 2-16 years must be accompanied at their appointment by an adult.
How do I book an appointment with the service?
To make an appointment, call one of the opticians on the back of this leaflet. You will be asked some questions about your symptoms in order to assess how quickly you need to be seen by the service, which will be within 24 hours in urgent cases and within a few days for routine appointments.
Please take your glasses and a list of your current medication with you to the appointment. The optometrist may put drops in your eyes to enlarge your pupils in order to get a better view of inside your eyes. You should not drive until the effects of these drops have worn off, which may take a few hours.
If your condition is more serious, the optometrist will book you an urgent appointment at a hospital eye clinic. If you need a routine appointment with a hospital, the optometrist will organise this for you.
You may also be advised to make an appointment with your GP if your eye condition is relation to your general health.
If you have any comments, compliments or complaints you can contact PALS by: Telephone: 01539 795497 or via their website
Participating practices (as of February 2017)
- Ambleside Opticians Ltd, Ambleside. Tel 015394 31331
- Specsavers Opticians, Barrow-in-Furness. Tel 01229 836836
- Richard Haynes Opticians, Barrow-in-Furness. Tel: 01229 812654
- Philip Jones Opticians, Carnforth. Tel: 01524 730055
- Butterfield Opticians, Carnforth. Tel: 01524 732724
- Vera Wilton Optometrists, Dalton-in-Furness. Tel: 01229 463169
- Lakeland Optical, Grange-over-Sands. Tel: 015395 32951
- Bagot Opticians, Grange-over-Sands. Tel: 015395 33909
- Bagot Opticians, Kendal. Tel: 01539 721619
- Spurrett Optometry, Kendal. Tel: 01539 720815
- Specsavers Opticians, Kendal. Tel: 01539 734777
- A Irving Opticians, Kendal. Tel: 01539 731947
- Collinge Opticians. Kirkby Lonsdale. Tel: 015242 72944
- Welbourne Opticians Ltd, Lancaster. Tel: 01524 64151
- Specsavers, Lancaster. Tel: 01524 842424
- Boots Opticians, Lancaster. Tel: 01524 844490
- Clare and Howard, Garstang. Tel: 1995602014
- Montgomery and Burrows Opticians, Garstang. Tel: 01995 605354
- Gibson and Thomson, Preston. Tel: 01995 605621
- L M Baverstock. Milnthorpe. Tel: 015395 62633
- Specsavers, Morecambe. Tel: 01524 405040
- Bagot Opticians, Penrith. Tel: 01768 864641
- Eyecare Excellence, Ulverston. Tel: 01229 587050
- Bagot Opticians, Windermere. Tel: 015394 46381
Functional Cookies are enabled by default at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings and ensure site works and delivers best experience.
3rd Party Cookies
This website uses Google Analytics to collect anonymous information such as the number of visitors to the site, and the most popular pages.
Keeping this cookie enabled helps us to improve our website.